POKEMON TCG: SWORD & SHIELD - LOST ORIGIN Expansion Looks To Disrupt The Meta With The Lost Zone
Inspired by the recent Nintendo Switch game Pokemon: Legends Arceus, the upcoming Pokemon TCG expansion Sword & Shield - Lost Origin will introduce the Lost Zone mechanic to disrupt the meta.
The upcoming expansion for the Pokemon Trading Card Game was revealed this week by The Pokemon Company International and it's based on the popular Nintendo Switch game Pokemon Legends: Arceus. On September 9, 2022, Sword & Shield - Lost Origin is scheduled to release, and it brings the return of an old mechanic that is sure to disrupt the current meta.
Sword & Shield - Lost Origin will introduce the Lost Zone gameplay element. For those who are not familiar, the Lost Zone essentially serves as a second discard pile. During gameplay, cards that are placed in the Lost Zone cannot be reclaimed like they would from the standard discard pile. The number of cards you have in the Lost Zone, however, increases the power of some cards with specific abilities, which can significantly alter the course of a battle. Lost Zone cards, such as Giratina VSTAR, feature a shadowy aura emanating from the artwork.
As Sword & Shield - Lost Origin is inspired by the recently released Nintendo Switch game, Pokemon Legends: Arceus, the expansion will see cards featuring Hisuian Pokemon. This includes Hisuian Zoroark VSTAR and Hisuian Goodra VSTAR, as well as Radiant Pokémon such as Radiant Gardevoir. Radiant Pokémon feature Shiny Pokémon illustrated in etched artwork and tend to have a powerful Ability or attack.
As the boundary between dimensions tears apart, Giratina VSTAR plunges the world into the abyssal shadow of the Lost Zone! While Aerodactyl VSTAR harnesses this distorted power, Magnezone, Drapion, Hisuian Goodra, and Hisuian Zoroark also appear as Pokémon VSTAR to show off their own astonishing skills, joined by Kyurem VMAX. Above the shadows, Enamorus V and Radiant Gardevoir conjure up dazzling magic in the Sword & Shield—Lost Origin expansion!
Here are some of the noteworthy cards in the expansion:
- Three new Radiant Pokémon
- Six Pokémon VSTAR
- 14 Pokémon V and one Pokémon VMAX
- 30 cards with artwork featuring fan-favorite Trainers and Pokémon in the Trainer Gallery subset
Although the expansion isn't slated to arrive until September, the Sword & Shield - Lost Origin Pokemon Center Elite Trainer Box is now available for preorder exclusively at Pokemon Center. For $49.99, you'll get exclusive accessories such as a collector's pin and metallic coin, plus 10 booster packs, which is two more than the standard Elite Trainer Box.
- 10 Pokémon TCG: Sword & Shield—Lost Origin booster packs
- Each booster pack contains 10 cards and either 1 basic Energy or 1 VSTAR marker. Cards vary by pack.
- A special collector’s pin featuring Giratina
- 65 card sleeves featuring Giratina
- 45 Pokémon TCG Energy cards
- A player’s guide to the Sword & Shield—Lost Origin expansion
- 6 damage-counter dice
- 1 competition-legal coin-flip die
- 1 metallic Pokémon coin featuring Giratina
- 2 acrylic condition markers
- 1 acrylic VSTAR marker
- A collector’s box to hold everything, with 4 dividers to keep it organized
- A code card for Pokémon Trading Card Game Live
Other than that, you'll be able to find Sword & Shield - Lost Origin in your usual booster packs for $3.99 each (10 cards included), Elite Trainer Boxes and special collections.